Saturday, October 04, 2008

Whatever turns you on

I was watching the Collectors programme on ABC TV, and they presented a man who collected toy tractors, in front of an audience of what appeared to be grey haired retirees. Now, people are entitled to pursue their interests, but is this the most important thing someone with time on their hands could do? Think of all the other pastimes people do: bridge clubs, tour guides of heritage houses, wine appreciation classes, theatre subscriptions etc. Do these have eternal significance?

Then I thought of the grey haired ordained and religious people nearing retirement. Maybe they should be thankful that they do have the chance to spend their time on things that matter.

Then I heard a story about Andrew Forrest, who is Australia's richest man. Maybe that has changed a little since the stockmarket changes recently, but he is still wealthy. Andrew Forrest has plans to support aboriginal communities by offering employment. He has also told his children that he plans to give away much of his wealth, so they will not inherit all his billions.

A little internet investigation of his motives shows that Andrew and his wife Nicola are Christians and attend an evangelical church in Perth. This is a sort of reverse "prosperity gospel". Make the money first, then give it away. I suppose there are atheist philantropists, but they seem to be few and far between. It seems that eternal values are needed before people are inspired to change their lives.

1 comment:

Schütz said...

Hi, Paul. I just noticed that you are a "follower" of my blog. I haven't noticed this change to blogger, since I have never converted my blog to the new layout system and can't put that widget up on my blogsite.

No matter. It's good to know you are out there, to find your blog, and to know that you enjoy reading mine.

Have a nice day!