Monday, March 19, 2007

3D desktop effects using Beryl with Ubuntu

I installed Beryl with AIGLX as described in
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Ubuntu/Edgy/AiGLX

It didn't work, because I needed to install the nvidia drivers for my graphics card (nVidia GEforce 7600) by following the instructions for installing the nVIDIA driver - second method (installing official package) here:

http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install_Beryl_on_Ubuntu_Edgy_with_nVidia#Installing_the_nVIDIA_Driver

Beryl started successfully when I typed beryl at a command line.

However, when I booted, X did not start, and an error message indicated an API mismatch error on restarting Ubuntu. As described at the link above, I added "nv" to the restricted modules in
/etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common.

Note that after installing the nvidia driver, there is useful information about the installation in:
/usr/bin/nvidia-installer/README.txt

The X log file is in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

and the config file is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

No comments: