Sunday, February 26, 2006

Linux podcast aggegator: CastPodder, nee iPodder

The podcast aggregator in the Ubuntu repositories is iPodder 2.1. I installed this, but there seems to be a problem. Some of the files I download using this have a MIME type of text/html, even though the "enclosure" tag in the xml gives a MIME type of audio/mpeg. These files do not play, although the XMMS audio player is loaded, but it says immediately that the file is finished. I tried a few files, and the xml files which contain iTunes tags do not work, but the ones without iTunes tags download and the audio plays correctly (and the MIME type is correct).

I could not find this as a bug on line, but the latest version of iPodder is 2.1.9, so maybe this has changed in the latest version.

To test the theory that this is a bug in the program, I downloaded and installed CastPodder from
http://borgforge.net/frs/?group_id=6

using the method given in
http://www.psychocats.net/linux/installingsoftware.php

After this installation, I can start it with /usr/bin/CastPodder

CastPodder is the Linux fork of the iPodder project after copyright objections to the name iPodder
(Juice is the fork for Windows and Mac)

CastPodder works with a xml feed which contains iTunes tags. I'll try it with the Alan Kohler podcast tomorrow when a new episode is available.

No comments: